Named after Ardthelmon Castle (pronounced Art-e-mon), the Irish home of William Gore (1765-1845) who was Provost-Marshal under Governor Bligh in the Rum Rebellion of 1808. Gore was granted 150 acres in 1810 from the present day St Leonards to Artarmon Station. In 1869 at the request of Council, the NSW Government set aside 140 acres of the land as a public reserve; now only 17 acres (9.5 hectares) remain. The remnant bushland in this reserve contains distinctive flora where Wianamatta Shale soils meet Hawkesbury Sandstone soils. In 1913 the reserve was dedicated as a park under the care, control and management of Willoughby Council.
Access to the carparks is from Burra Road. The Artarmon Link Path (Cordia Way) is a wide, gently undulating pedestrian/cycle path that runs from Shepherd Road to Artarmon Reserve (entering the reserve on the northern side next to the bowling club). The path continues around the field to join the Naremburn cycleway which runs under the freeway to Bicentennial Park. There is a walking track from the lower carpark to Elizabeth Street and Artarmon Station and another pedestrian entrance to the reserve from Artarmon Rd (between 50 & 52 Artarmon Rd). The lower carpark is level with the sportsfield.
It is 250m to Artarmon Station from the park entrance, and 120m to a taxi stand.
Bushcare groups meet in the reserve on the 1st Wednesday and 2nd Sunday of each month.
Further information on Artarmon Reserve is available in the pdf format Artarmon Reserve Masterplan (504.63 KB).