Come visit & discover Coronation Reserve Strathfield South NSW 2136.
Coronation Reserve is located on the boundary of Strathfield and Burwood Municipalities. This Reserve provides a large area of open space, which is designed as an integral feature of the surrounding residential area, providing recreation opportunities and enhancement of local amenity and streetscape. This park features a dedicated children’s playground.
Coronation Reserve also contains a number of important heritage items including Coronation Arch, the Enfield War Memorial and the former Enfield Council Chambers.
Coronation Reserve runs the length of Coronation Parade from Liverpool Rd to Georges River Road. The name Coronation Reserve is in reference to the coronation of King George VI in 1937. To commemorate this event, the former Enfield Council built the Coronation Arch, which is sited in this Reserve, substantially renovated the Reserve and renamed the streets adjacent to the Reserve.
Coronation Reserve lies on the border of the 1808 Wilshire land grant, later known as the Redmire Estate. By the 1850’s a track was established marking the current Coronation Parade, which is the border between Burwood and Strathfield Municipalities. The reserve is located between two parallel streets known as Punchbowl Rd and The Boulevarde [in 1937 both streets were renamed Coronation Parade] and is bordered by Liverpool Rd and the Cooks River at the junction of Georges River Rd. The original reserve was about 80 feet wide but the reserve increased in width when the trams, which ran through the eastern side of the reserve, were removed in 1951.
Coronation Parade was the site of the steam tramway built in 1902, which ran from Liverpool Rd to the depot terminus in Tangarra St and through the current Reserve. The tramway was electrified in 1912 and a double track added in 1915. Competition from local buses forced the closure of the tram service in 1948, though the tracks were not removed until 1951. The old tramway was located on the eastern side of the Reserve and the small brick hut near Dean St was built adjacent to the tram stop as a waiting room. After the tracks were removed, Coronation Reserve was substantially altered in layout and the former tramway incorporated into the Reserve.
In 1936, Enfield Council carried out works to improve the reserve and in 1937 extended this work to include the building of the commemorative brick arch and the renaming of the road to Coronation Parade. These projects were devised as work relief schemes, creating jobs for local residents affected by the 1930s Great Depression. The archway and reserve were officially opened by the Governor of New South Wales, Lord Wakehurst, on 5th June, 1937. (Reference: Jones, C, Parks, Reserves & Memorials of Strathfield, 2004).
Transport and Accessibility
Entry to the Bay to Bay Cyclepath/Walking near Georges River Road at the southern end of the Reserve.
Bus and Train – Trip Planner provides information on public transport including timetables and routes.
Parking is available on Coronation Parade.
Coronation Parade, Strathfield South.
Open space for informal recreational use
Former Enfield Council Chambers
Enfield War Memorial