Named after William Gore (1765–1845), Irish free settler and NSW Provost – Marshal. He was granted 150 acres from the present day St Leonards to Artarmon Railway Station. The park is a Crown Land reserve. It was originally part of a 140-acre dedication for public recreation in 1869, with Willoughby Council as the Trustee. By 1928 both cricket and football were being played on a levelled playing field with a concrete cricket pitch. The pavilion containing change-rooms, toilets and meeting room was built in 1988.
There is exercise equipment in the park near the corner of Reserve Road and Pacific Highway, St Leonards. A double plate BBQ, shady picnic area, 8 picnic tables and 2 park benches are located between the pavilion and Gore Hill Cemetery, and there are public toilets in the pavilion (including a wheelchair accessible toilet).
There are some remnants of the site’s original Blue Gum High Forest vegetation community in the northern and western areas of the park, including Turpentine (Syncarpia glomulifera), Blackbutt (E.pilularis), White Stringybark (E. globoidea), Red Mahogany (E. resinifera), Ironbark (E .paniculata) and Sydney Red Gum (Angophora costata).
The park is close to St Leonards railway station, and there is a carpark behind the pavilion which includes two car spaces reserved for people with disabilities.