Named after Sir Edward Hallstrom (1886-1970), resident of Northbridge and owner of the Silent Knight Refrigerator Factory in Willoughby. In 1946 he contributed 3,000 pounds for the improvement of this land for recreation and sporting use. The playground design is based on the layout of Taronga Park Zoo, where he was Trust Chairman for 10 years. The large adventure playground was built in 1998. Artistic features of the playground include sandstone animals carved by Chris Bennett, sense activated sound elements, an interactive “musicosaurus” by Jerome Lynons and forged metal fence and grate detail by Libby Tulip and Phil Spark. A stone crocodile lies in the drainage channel, camouflaged by rocks lining the channel. A continuous accessible path (flat to gently undulating) links the playground elements, including a mound slide (no steps), sandpit and water pump.
The Bicentennial Reserve entrance is 60m from the bus stop in Willoughby Road. There is off street parking next to the Willoughby Leisure Centre and netball courts (entrance from Small Street). There is on street parking adjacent to the playground and also outside the Leisure Centre.