Named after Sir Edward Hallstrom (1886-1970), a philanthropist and local industrialist. His home ‘Figtree House’ (now demolished) fronted Coolawin Road. Its grounds contained a private zoo, an in-ground salt-water swimming pool and a ballroom. The land was subdivided into eight housing blocks after his death. The grassy point with significant fig trees was given to Willoughby Council as a public reserve.
Access is via a steep roadway which slopes down to the tip of the promontory which juts into Long Bay. A rock shelf is exposed at low tide allowing access to the harbour and around the foreshore. There are beautiful views of Middle Harbour from the park.