The Commonwealth War Service Homes Commission purchased the Hemsley Estate in 1921 from Arthur Wigram Allen, a partner in the law firm Allen, Allen & Hemsley. Alfred Macartney Hemsley (1860-1937) joined the firm in 1894 and was its motivating force during the 1920s & 30s. He was appointed to the NSW Legislative Council in the late 1920s. Allen had purchased the land from the North Shore and Middle Harbour Land Co Ltd. In 1881 it had been auctioned as part of the “Royal Park Estate”, and in 1854 subdivided by William Lithgow. In 1850 the land had been granted to John Stirling and in 1825 to Richard Archbold.
Willoughby City Council acknowledges the Cammeraygal people as the traditional inhabitants of the area.
There is an open grassed area, some trees and a park bench in this park. Sparkes Lane is a grassed pedestrian link between this park and Broadbent Reserve.