Begins at the end of Bay View Hill Road, Rose Bay
This reserve is part of Sydney Harbour National Park and is a pleasant foreshore walk from Rose Bay round to Vaucluse.
A width of Rose Bay foreshore land varying from 40 to 100 feet (12 to 30 m.) from Bayview Hill Road to Nielsen Park was resumed in May, 1912 by the Department of Lands from foreshore properties and paid for under the Foreshore Resumption Scheme. The land was declared a Reserve for Public Recreation on November 13, 1964 and added to the Sydney Harbour National Park, November 12, 1983 – placed under the control of the National Parks and Wildlife Service.
The area was largely left in its natural state so that with both the ‘Hermitage Reserve’ and ‘Nielsen Park’ we have more than 3 km of rock and beach foreshore which is mostly untouched by urban development and is fully accessible to the public. The tracks and facilities were upgraded with funds from the Vincent Fairfax Foundation and channelled here by the National Parks and Wildlife Foundation. A plaque commemorating the upgrading was unveiled on 29 November, 1993.