Named after William and Henry Mashman who operated a pottery business on the site of the park from 1885. The Mashman Brothers company, Victoria Pottery, produced terracotta and stoneware including chimney pots, urns, chicken feeders, bread crocks and storage jars. As more houses were built in Chatswood, the company also produced drainage and sewer pipes. In 1959 the Royal Doulton Company bought the business and continued making only sanitary wares. In 1980 Caroma Industries P/L acquired the business but ceased trading in 2000. Council was given the park in 2004 by the Huang family who converted the former factory building into residential apartments.
The palm trees which originally grew along Victoria Avenue and around the corner along Jacques Street were salvaged when the site was developed, and several now grow in the raised garden beds at the back of the park.
The history of the site is integrated into the fountain’s splash tiles by Peter Day and Jo-anne Fuller (an environmental art & design project entitled “Paydirt. A tribute to the Unknown Industrial Potter”) and a brick bas-relief by Suzie Bleach and Andrew Townsend.