James Charles Morrell (1868-1943) ran the NSW branch of the Commonwealth War Service Homes Commission as Deputy Commissioner at the time of the development of the Hemsley Estate, and is likely to have been responsible for its design. Morrell was an architect and follower of the new “Garden Suburb” planning principles popular at the time. The “Hemsley Estate” was subdivided by the Commission in 1924 and features the curves, irregular allotments, public pathways, street trees and local reserves which are characteristic of this town planning movement. An aim of the suburb plan is to provide greater opportunities for local community social interaction, and is unusual in the area. The estate has historic & social significance as an example of a War Service Homes Estate constructed for personnel returned from World War 1.
A rock ledge forms the backdrop to this reserve, in which there are some native plants and two park benches.