Location: Stuart Street , Blakehurst
Features: Recreational green space
Facilities: BBQ, picnic, toilets, playground, walking track
walking / treking
Stuart Street Reserve, Blakehurst is classified as district green space, which was part of original 120 acres granted to William Fitzpatrick. The land was purchased by Father John Joseph Therry in 1837. In 1877 most of this land was subdivided and auctioned as the Georgeton (sometimes Georgetown) Estate.
In 1917, Kogarah City Council purchased seven allotments fronting Joseph Street, and the reserve was used as a football ground in the winter grounds, with a cricket pitch installed in 1931. In 1947 Stuart Street Reserve,( which was originally called Joseph Street Reserve) was leased out to the Department of Main Roads far longer than originally planned and it was not returned to Kogarah City Council until 1953 when the reserve was renamed Stuart Street Reserve, reflecting the change of street names.
Stuart Street Reserve, Blakehurst is 0.8 hectares in size and currently offers both passive and active for recreational users, with the provision facilities such as picnic shelters, toilets and a children’s playground. Active user groups are catered for with sporting facilities including an exercise station basketball court, small soccer practice goal and a cricket practice net.
There is a meandering walking/jogging path around the perimeter of Stuart Street Reserve, which is used by park users. It has open pockets of green space that are tranquil and used by passive recreational users looking for an area to relax. The existing figs, Ficus microcarpa var.’hillii’, and native vegetation provide shade for members of the public enjoying the green space.