The park caters for rugby union in winter and softball in summer. Woollahra Oval is the home ground of the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby Union Football Club.
The oval is part of an area of some 32 1/2 acres (13.2 ha.) fronting O’Sullivan Road in Rose Bay that was acquired in 1923 by the Council from a ‘Rose Bay Freehold Company’. Chinese market gardeners on the site were given notice to quit and a park with an oval put in train. A pavilion named in honour of George Grimley was constructed in 1927, a golf course put in place by 1931 and two croquet lawns layed down in 1934. Subsequently the club rooms of the Rose Bay Rugby Football Club was erected on the site.