The park caters for cricket during summer and rugby union in winter.
An area of some 32 1/2 acres (13.2 ha.) fronting O’Sullivan Road in Rose Bay was acquired in 1923 by the Council from a ‘Rose Bay Freehold Company’, Chinese market gardeners on the site were given notice to quit and a park with an oval created. A pavilion named in honour of George Grimley was constructed in 1927, a golf course put in place by 1931 and two croquet lawns layed down in 1934. Subsequently the club rooms of the Rose Bay Rugby Football Club was erected on the site.